Thursday, June 11, 2009

READY...SET...GO!!!

Jake and Grandpa cutting out his Pinewood Derby Car!!!
SO SCARY!!!

Jake with his award!!! He won "most original design" but can't you tell by his expression that he really wanted First Place but all in all, not too bad for our first derby.

He was so funny. Each car raced eight times and at the end he came up to me and said "I got every place but first."

I love that smile!!!! He is sure a handsome scout.

Last month Jake had his first Pinewood Derby. I am his scout leader and I have to admit it wouldn't be nearly as much fun if he wasn't in my troop. I had no idea what Pinewood Derby entailed and it really was a joint effort. Jake spent hours designing his car on paper and then we took the piece of wood to Grandpa's for some help with the carving. After this Dean and Jake spent hours painting and attaching the wheels and then it was my turn to attach weights so that it was heavy enough. I have to admit I didn't know what to expect and it was surprising how competitive it was. I am not really talking about the scouts, just some overzealous dads and moms (I'm not talking about Dean). The boys were so excited and all had a great time. I think Jake has already started designing his car for next year. GO JAKE!!!

No comments: